RON PERLMAN _ biography



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Spouse                       
Opal Stone (14 February 1981 - present) 2 children


Trade Mark                           
Deep, rolling voice
Frequently appears as characters who are deformed or not human, starting with his role as Amoukar in En busca del fuego (1981). These roles include Salvatore in El nombre de la rosa (1986), Vincent in "La bella y la bestia" (1987), Sayer of the Law in La isla del Dr. Moreau (1996), Reinhardt (a vampire) in Blade II (2002), the Reman Viceroy in Star Trek: Nemesis (2002), and Hellboy in Hellboy (2004).
Frequently has a role in the films of his friend Guillermo del Toro
Strong jawline and bold blue eyes


Trivia                                
His children, with Opal Perlman, are Blake Perlman (b. 1984) and Brandon Avery Perlman (b. 1990).
He is left-handed, but was forced to use his right as a child - therefore he is relatively comfortable using his right hand.
Attended the University of Minnesota from fall 1971 to spring 1973. On July 20, 1973, he graduated with his then new degree of Master of Fine Arts.
Attended George Washington High School.
Attended the Lehman College in New York City in 1971, where he got the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Theatre.
His wife, Opal Perlman, was a fashion designer, but now works as a jewelry designer.
Upon meeting to discuss Hellboy (2004), creator Mike Mignola and director Guillermo del Toro decided to reveal to each other their choice for the lead role. They both said at the same time, Ron Perlman. Revolutions studio wanted a bigger name like Vin Diesel to play the title role, but del Toro fought for Perlman to get the role, and in the end, he did.
Does not speak French and was the only American on set of the French film La ciudad de los niños perdidos (1995). But he learned all of his lines, and delivered them flawlessly.
His favorite movie is Ni un pelo de tonto (1994).
Is a New York Yankees fan.
Broke a rib while filming the subway scenes in Hellboy (2004). He jumped onto a train that was coming towards him.
To prepare for his role in Hellboy (2004), he read all the Hellboy comics and worked out three hours a day, five to seven days a week. He also worked out while shooting, every day he had off from filming, he would work out.
Is the godfather to Nicholas Kadi's daughter.
Was ranked in Star Magazine's Reader's Poll - Best Dramatic Actor as Vincent in "La bella y la bestia" (1987).
Was ranked in US Magazine's "20 Who Turned us on" list. [December 26, 1988]
Was ranked in US Magazine's First Annual Reader's Poll - Third runner-up for Best Dramatic Actor as Vincent in "La bella y la bestia" (1987). [1988]
His favorite episode of "La bella y la bestia" (1987) is "Happy Life".
Was friends with Sammy Davis Jr.. They met at the Golden Globe Awards in the late 1980s, apparently Davis was a huge "La bella y la bestia" (1987) fan and had seen every single episode.
Voiced the mutant villain Clayface on "Batman" (1992), a character who, ironically, was a disfigured actor, then voiced the villain Slade on "Teen Titans" (2003), and also did the voice of the Hulk/Bruce Banner twice in two separate series, one for a guest spot on "Los cuatro fantásticos" (1994) and one for a guest spot on "Iron Man" (1994), in addition to providing the voice of Orion for "Justice League" (2001). He then played the comic book character Hellboy in Hellboy (2004). He went to portray Batman in Justice League Heroes (2006) (VG).
Has a dog (terrier) named Nigel.
Hobbies include golf, jazz, and pool.
With the creation of Hellboy II. El ejército dorado (2008), at age 58, he became the oldest actor ever to play a main superhero.
Frequent voice collaborator with fellow voice-actor Keith David. Computer games: Fallout: A Post-Nuclear Role-Playing Game (1997) (VG), Lords of EverQuest (2003) (VG), Halo 2 (2004) (VG), Halo 3 (2007) (VG). Animated series: "Aladdin" (1994), "Los cuatro fantásticos" (1994), "Justice League" (2001), "Teen Titans" (2003). And they have both had a guest appearance on the television series "Más allá del límite" (1995).
Good friends with former "La bella y la bestia" (1987) co-star Linda Hamilton. They reunited in the theatre play "Lover Letters" (1991) and in the post-Vietnam War drama Missing in America (2005).
Was presented with the Acting Award of Excellence at the Big Bear Lake International Film Festival [September 18th, 2004].
Worked on the Acadamy Award winning short film Two Soldiers (2003) for free as a favor to writer/director Aaron Schneider.
Was offered promotional advertisements as Vincent, his character from the television series "La bella y la bestia" (1987), but he refused, stating that the character was not there to be exploited.
Is well known for his extensive body of work with acting under prosthetic and has given many actors, like Armin Shimerman ("Star Trek: Espacio profundo 9" (1993)) and Michael Chiklis (Los cuatro fantásticos (2005)), advice on how to emote effectively under full-head prosthetic appliances.
Said in his audio commentary for La ciudad de los niños perdidos (1995), that of all the things his characters have done in films, his most hated action was when his character, One, attacked Miette under the influence of the evil Octopus Sisters' drug.
His characters are frequently seen smoking cigars (La última cena (1995/I), Salvajemente tiernos (1999), Price of Glory (2000), Seducido por una ladrona (2001), Hellboy (2004), et cetera). Perlman is an avid cigar smoker in real life.
Early in his career, he tried doing stand-up comedy.
Producers Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin tried hard for Perlman to get cast as Edward Blake aka The Comedian in Watchmen (2009).
Was offered the role of Piccolo in Dragonball Evolution (2009), but turned it down to work on Hellboy II. El ejército dorado (2008) instead.
Was considered for the role of Uncle Dave in Postal (2007), before Dave Foley was cast.
Wrote a script some years ago entitled Wooden Lake which he was also going to direct, but as of this date, it has not gone into production (2011).
Was up for a role in El Hobbit: Un viaje inesperado (2012) when Guillermo del Toro was at the helm, but as pre-production was prolonged again and again, del Toro left and so did Perlman.
Started his own film production company called "Wing and a Prayer" (2010).
In 2012, Ron Perlman once again endured the 4-hour makeup routine required to transform him into Hellboy--not for a sequel or other acting job but to fulfill the Make-A-Wish request of a six-year-old boy named Zachary who has leukemia. Creature effects house Spectral Motion applied Perlman's Hellboy makeup (and later, also made up Zachary as Hellboy as well), and then Zachary got to spend the day hanging out with "Hellboy.".


Personal Quotes                            
I've always felt there were aspects of me that were monstrous, and you can either hide from it or confront it, embrace it and understand that those are aspects that make you unique and define you and motivate you. You can either overwhelm or overcompensate for them -- but they truly define you as a human being...So that life became a question of either dealing with this monstrousness in one way or another...One finds a way to understand and make friends with that monster and understand that that's the very thing that makes you who you are. That's your emotional and spiritual fingerprint.
I've done millions of mediocre movies. I've done way more than my fair share. You do what you gotta do. This is not heart surgery. I'm not curing cancer. I'm just trying to put my kids through school.
[on being a director]: "I don't like working with me. I would punch myself in the mouth if I had to take my direction."
[When asked what his idea of Hell is]: "Working at a job that you hate. Having a career and a life that you have no passion for. That's hell."
[on Guillermo del Toro]: "It seems as though we are like brothers. After knowing the guy for five minutes, it was one of these instances, where you felt, that you've known him for twenty-five years. This instantaneous friendship and recognition. Very very similar way of viewing the world. And then we found, that working with each other, there was a real simpatico. And I think you could even say, that we are alter egos for one another. Like if he was and actor he would be me and if I was a filmmaker I would be him. We seem to be trying to make the same statement in the world."
I'd be dead without my sense of humor. I can't imagine processing the shit we are slogging our way through in life without it. In a twenty-four-hour space, you get an acute sense of how all of this injustice and out-rage is absurd. There are things that are truly serious, like when one loses his health or gets into a life- threatening accident. But the rest of it.... If you can't laugh your way through life, then you are fucked. Humor was the first form of armor I ever wore to counteract my self-image. The first girl I ever asked out on a date laughed at me, because she thought I was kidding. While I didn't cry on the surface, inside I was weeping. But outwardly I made a joke out of the situation. So humor has always been my shield against the slings and arrows. I turn them into something satiric.
[1990]: "People are doing sitcoms on stage rather than theater. You go to the theater, and it's as if you were watching a sitcom at 8:30 on Channel 4."
[When asked if he is afraid to be type-cast as a tough guy after Alien resurrección (1997)]: I don't bear any label. I perform very extreme characters, but at the same time men with an enormous goodness. Take for example the Hercules from La ciudad de los niños perdidos (1995), One, he is a child in an adult body; One is pure, simple and innocent. My character in "La bella y la bestia" (1987) had an enormous generosity, far from this world; the Beast was too good to be real. It's true that I hardly play ordinary people due to my appearance, anyway I am not a captive of any register, I don't systematically play tough and not very bright people. I congratulate myself for my varied filmography and for being able to do all roles.
I lost 90 pounds and my blood pressure went down to a normal level and the salt in my urine disappeared. And that was when I had to make the transition from fat character actor to thin character actor.
[on acting]: "It's nice to get paid for therapy rather than having to pay $240 an hour for it."
I just think that there are those people that their resolve is strengthened by what it is that's keeping them down, and there are some people that will buckle under it. You never know which one is which until you get into the eighth or ninth round of the fight.
I will not do a role that I don't think I can do, that I'm not interested in, where there's no humanity, that doesn't have any kind of handle for me at all because I know I'll just stink the joint up.
I think there are a lot of technocrats in the business who would much rather work with just wheels and gears and machinery. Those things interest them more than humanity and I wish them the best of luck.
I don't think anything is ever going to replace the human heart and what that generates in terms of performance.
"I was not dealt the best physical hand in the world. My nose didn't fit my mouth. My forehead didn't fit my cheeks. And those are traditionally the years when a boy is judged primarily on his looks. So, consequently, I suffered from very low self- esteem. In a sense, I had a beast inside me. That beast was fear and insecurity." (on his childhood days)
[on his love for the Turner Classic Movies channel]: My antidote to a cold, hard, really cruel world is to go back and watch old black and white movies and go, "Oh, Oh...Oh, Humphrey! Oh, Cary! Oh, Burt!" That's it, man. I mean, you know it's just another time and place. It seems like there was a little order to the universe back then.

Salary                         
Two Soldiers (2003) $0.00

Where Are They Now                      
(2004) Now lives in Los Angeles, California, but also keeps a home in New York City.
(July 2005) Currently filming En el nombre del rey (2006) in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
(June 2004) Was Guest of Honor at the multi-genre Dreamcon, in Jacksonville, Florida.
(May 2001) Attended the A Diamond is Forever - Cinema Against Aids 2001 gala at the Moulin de Mougins restaurant, to benefit the American Foundation for AIDS Research.
(January 2009) Budapest, Hungary - filming En tiempo de brujas (2011).



        source: imdb.com








   Top
   popular
   posts

Popular Posts